A recent slew of serious accidents in New Jersey demonstrate how quickly life can change for accident victims and why finding legal representation is crucial step for victims as they attempt to recover from severe injuries or overcome the devastating loss of a family member. Proving fault in an accident is often easier said than done, which is why the assistance of an experienced car accident lawyer is necessary to ensure victims’ rights are protected and compensation is properly awarded.
Recent NJ vehicle crashes
A deadly crash in Freehold Township took the lives of three and critically injured another earlier this month. CBS New York reports that Nicholas Dever, 19, his girlfriend Noelle DeLuccio, 20, and Thomas Koller, 50, were all killed when Dever’s Volkswagen Jetta crossed lanes and hit Koller’s Honda Pilot head-on. The impact actually sent the Pilot airborne, where it landed on top of a Toyota Camry, leaving the 25-year-old driver of that vehicle in extremely critical condition at an area hospital.
All of the drivers and passengers of the vehicles involved in the crash were wearing seatbelts and the airbags in all the vehicles deployed appropriately. Officials are investigating whether cell phone usage while driving might have contributed to the accident. Residents living near the site of the accident told reporters that area of the road was very dangerous and numerous crashes had been witnessed in the same location.
Another serious accident involving a tractor-trailer took place in Ridgefield Park the same week as the Freehold Township crash. The truck involved was driving on the New Jersey Turnpike when it crashed through a guardrail and caught fire. The driver of the vehicle fell into Overpeck Creek below, where he was fished out by state troopers who were the first to arrive on the scene.
The driver of the truck, Lawrence Scherf, 65, was taken to an area hospital with burns over 65-75 percent of his body. Since the accident, Scherf has been transferred to St. Barnabas Hospital, where he is currently in a medically-induced coma, according to CBS New York. The trooper who rescued Scherf were also treated and released after the accident, primarily to decontaminate them from the creek water they jumped into to save Scherf.
A third accident involved a female driver participating in a three-quarter midget racing program. Amanda Gambacorto, 21, died at the Wall Stadium Speedway after the racecar she was driving slammed into a turn wall of the speedway. Gambacorto was taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead less than one hour after the accident.
Gambacorto had been taking lessons from the Green Flag Driving Experience, which uses the track for some of their training. According to USA Today, the racecar Gambacorto had been driving was approximately 8-9 feet in length, with an open-wheel design. An event that had been scheduled for the same day Gambacorto’s accident was cancelled by the speedway, and officials had been at the track to investigate the crash.
Consult a New Jersey car accident attorney
If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident in New Jersey, it can be difficult to prove fault and liability. Crucial steps must be followed to collect the necessary information that will hold the responsible driver liable for injuries and property damage incurred. That is why experienced NJ truck accident lawyers are critical in ensuring the rights of the victims are protected and fault is properly assigned.
The attorneys at Eisbrouch Marsh have a long track record of successfully representing the victims of truck and car accidents. We can help you pursue compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and more. To learn more about your legal options after an auto accident, contact Eisbrouch Marsh at 201-342-5545 to schedule your complimentary consultation.
- CBS Local, Officials Identify Victims of Deadly Freehold Township Car Crash, http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/08/20/investigators-asking-witnesses-of-deadly-nj-crash-to-come-forward/
- NBC New York, Victims in Head-On New Jersey Crash that Sent Car Airborne Identified, http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Fatal-Crash-Freehold-New-Jersey-Kozloski-Burlington-271902361.html
- NJ.com, Driver Rescued from Turnpike Truck Accident in Ridgefield Park, http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2014/08/driver_rescued_from_truck_accident_in_ridgefield_park.html
- CBS New York, Driver Critically Injured in NJ Turnpike Crash that left Tractor-Trailer Dangling off Roadway, http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/08/19/driver-rescued-after-new-jersey-turnpike-crash-leaves-truck-hanging-off-roadway/
- USA Today, Driver Dies after Crash at Racing Clinic in New Jersey, http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/motor/2014/08/16/female-driver-dies-crash-wall-stadium-new-jersey-racing-clinic/14170383/