Posted: February 10, 2015
On Wednesday, January 22, a massive fire destroyed a luxury apartment complex in New Jersey. The fire raged on for 12 hours, forcing nearby roads and schools to close on Thursday. The swanky Avalon on the Hudson complex in Edgewater was destroyed 15 years after another fire demolished the 408-unit building while it was under construction back in 2000. The complex is located by the Hudson River, across the street from the Edgewater post office and in the shopping center with Trader Joe’s.
Among those residents displaced by the fire was Yankees announcer, John Sterling. Luckily, firefighters were able to get the flames under control by Wednesday evening and no major injuries or loss of life was reported.
Edgewater Mayor Michael McPartland declared a local state of emergency late Wednesday, making the announcement that neighboring roads and schools would be closed the next day. Power and gas were shut off to the entire area into Wednesday evening as firefighters worked to combat the blaze.
The fire has been declared accidental, igniting when a plumbing repair made by members of the building’s maintenance crew sparked a fire in the walls and spread throughout the building.
Fire rips through massive complex
The fire started around 4:30 pm and residents quickly evacuated the complex. Initially, firefighters thought they had the blaze under control, but it intensified in the back of the complex, which proved challenging for crews to reach. The fire then spread to the northern section of the complex — destroying multiple units. Flames from the blaze could be seen from the top of Rockefeller Center all the way in Manhattan.
Massive emergency response crews showed up at the scene to help, including departments from Hudson, Bergen and Union Counties and the FDNY and Jersey City.
Approximately 160 residents took refuge at a local community center, set up by the Office of Emergency Management and the Red Cross.
Residents were shocked by the magnitude of the blaze, wondering how it could spread so quickly. One responding fire chief speculated that lightweight wood used in construction played a role, as it collapses easily causing fire to spread throughout the rest of the structure.
The mayor confirmed the building did have sprinklers inside, but they weren’t enough to thwart the damage.
Consulting with New Jersey fire damage lawyers
A fire is a serious and scary emergency that can easily cause severe personal injuries or death — not to mention property damage. When you live in an apartment building, you rely on your landlord to ensure your building has a working fire alarm, smoke detectors and other required safety measures.
If you have suffered physical injuries, property damage or the death of a loved one as the result of a fire caused by poor maintenance, negligence, or defective products, you may have a legal claim for damages. It’s important to discuss your case with a seasoned New Jersey premises liability lawyer, so you’re fully aware of your rights.
Eisbrouch Marsh attorneys offer free legal advice to anyone who has suffered property damage or injury from accidental fire in New Jersey.
Call our office today at 201-342-5545 to see if you are eligible for pursuing a property damage lawsuit in New Jersey.
- NBC New York, Luxury New Jersey Apartment Complex Destroyed in Massive Fire http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Edgewater-New-Jersey-Apartment-Complex-Fire-289367561.html
- NBC New York, Luxury Apartment Complex Fire Accidental: Officials http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-Jersey-Edgewater-Fire-Apartment-Complex-Avalon-on-Hudson-289416441.html